The Journal of Urology said that a prostate cancer screening test called needle biopsy can introduce deadly bacteria into the person’s bloodstream which can cause sepsis or systemic infection that can be fatal. Canadian researchers last year found nine men who had negative results died due to the infections.
More cases are being reported because the number of prostate cancer screening tests done around the world are also increasing. The rise in the number of cases suggests that the tests are being overused.
A needle biopsy of the prostate involves inserting a needle through the rectum into the prostate. Bacteria from the rectum can penetrate the gland and the blood stream and an infection ensues.
The severity of infection may be heightened if antibiotic-resistant bacteria is found in men who undergo this type of prostate cancer screening.